For those who have not completed games in the Xenoblade Chronicles series, this page contains spoilers regarding the plot. Discretion is advised.
Colony 9 (epilogue) is an area in Xenoblade Chronicles. It is Colony 9, now relocated to the shore of an ocean, with the remains of the Bionis visible in the distance. It is seen only during the game's ending cutscene, and cannot be visited during normal gameplay.
Much of Colony 9 remains the same, but there are some significant changes:
- The mountains to the north and east have been removed, as are Agora Shore, Hazzai Cape, and the Military District, and are are replaced by open water. The only mountains remaining are a low range on the west side, running from a point south of Cliff Lake to the Mechon Wreckage Site.
- The walkway which led from the Central Plaza to the Military District is now a ramp leading down to the water and a small dock.
- There is another small dock on the shore near Verdant Bluchal's former location.
- The corpse of Bionis can be seen in the water to the north.
- There is no Anti-Air Battery 1 or 2, just Anti-Air Battery 3.
- There is no wreckage at the Mechon Wreckage Site.
The game renders cutscenes on the fly, a technique which requires less disc space than pre-rendered cutscenes and allows characters to be shown wearing the gear equipped by the player. To do this the game requires a 3D model, which is stored on the game disc in the same format as other areas like Bionis' Leg and Makna Forest.
Because it is stored in the same format as other areas, it is possible to use a hack or cheat code to visit this area. Some players have misinterpreted this and the amount of detail as evidence that the area is unused content which had originally been intended to be visited during the game. However, careful comparison shows that it is identical to the Colony 9 shown in the final cutscene. The amount of detail and completeness are likely due to it being created from a copy of Colony 9 after that model was completed.