For those who have not completed games in the Xenoblade Chronicles series, this page contains spoilers regarding the plot. Discretion is advised.
- "Once, only a god could perform such a miracle. But today, mankind moves one step closer to the divine!"
- – Klaus
Having lost faith in mankind after failing to find a satisfactory answer for their reason to live, as well as due to the ruin they had brought upon Earth, the scientist Klaus saw the Conduit, a mysterious object with the ability to open paths to other dimensions, as a gateway that he could use to lead humanity to a new world where they could become something "so much more".
During the attack to the First Low Orbit Station that took place in the year 20XX, Klaus saw the opportunity to put his plan into motion. He blocked all access from outside to the Conduit, but as he was going to activate it, he was interrupted by Galea, who tried to reason with him. However, her efforts were fruitless, as Klaus ignored her and activated the Conduit.
As the Conduit's power surrounded the planet, portals to other dimensions appeared. Half of Klaus' body, alongside Galea, was sucked by one of the portals, and ended up in a new universe, where he was reborn as Zanza, the soul of the Bionis. His other half, which had remained alone in the orbital station, took on himself the duty of restoring the planet to what it had been, and came to be known as the Architect to the new life he created.
As Shulk kills Zanza, the Architect begins vanishing as well, thereby ensuring the end of Klaus.
- "Trinity Processor synch rate at 96%... That should be good enough. Let's begin the experiment!"
- "Ridiculous! It's perfectly safe! We are about to bear witness to the birth of a universe. Once, only a god could perform such a miracle. But today, mankind moves one step closer to the divine!"
- "What's the alternative? Do you want to just surrender this place to them? The Conduit is a gift from some divine entity. It is a gateway... A gateway that will take us to an entirely new world."
- "Galea... We humans are fools. We've ravaged the planet... We are on the verge of burning even the skies above. But the Conduit...could transform us into something so much more! Galea, this is the birth of a brand-new universe!"