For those who have not completed games in the Xenoblade Chronicles series, this page contains spoilers regarding the plot. Discretion is advised.
- "I swear I won't stop until I've scrapped each and every one of you!"
- – Sharla
Sharla (Japanese: カルナ, Karuna, Carna; English dub: /ˈʃɑːrlə/) is one of the seven playable characters in Xenoblade Chronicles, and a medic of the Colony 6 Defence Force. She uses an ether rifle to fight, and her speciality is healing. She is Juju's older sister and Gadolt's fiance. She becomes playable during Chapter 4.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Story
- 4 In battle
- 5 General stats
- 6 Arts
- 7 Skill Trees
- 8 Gem Crafting
- 9 Presents
- 10 In Super Smash Bros.
- 11 Quotes
- 12 Trivia
- 13 Gallery
Sharla is a kind-hearted, strong-witted, and loving person. However, she has a vengeful side that is first seen when Xord reveals that he ate the entire Defence Force of Colony 6. She is also shown to be devoted to those she cares for, especially Gadolt and her young brother Juju. She originally became a medic so she could protect Juju and heal him whenever he got hurt according to the Heart-to-Heart "Revisiting the Past". She also acts motherly especially in all Heart-to-Hearts with Dunban and she treats Melia like her own sister, encouraging her feelings for Shulk. Sharla intends to become a doctor once things have settled down, according to "The Colony Reborn".
Although after particularly harrowing incidents causes Sharla to lose her will to continue, encouragement from the party and her own resolve to fight allows her to carry on, determined to keep fighting until the antagonistic forces that threaten those she cares for are taken down once and for all.
At 1.68 m (5'6") Sharla is a fairly tall woman, with tan skin, long black hair reaching just past her shoulders, soft brown eyes, and a beauty mark on the lower left of her lip.
Her standard outfit consists of a blue crop top with short rippled sleeves and four square golden button-like jewels in front, an orangish red waistcoat with three rifle bullets in the pockets, a pair of silver goggles with dark brown straps, white shorts, a grey belt, brown elbow-length gloves with dark brown straps and silver buckles, and a pair of dark brown knee-high boots with blackish brown soles, silver buckles on the straps, and blue stockings pulled over the top of them.
Prior to the start of the story, Sharla and her younger brother Juju lived in Colony 6. Sharla was due to marry a member of Colony 6's Defence Force named Gadolt. Unfortunately, the Mechon attacked, led by Xord, and destroyed Colony 6, decimating its population. Sharla and Juju were tasked with helping the young and elderly flee the Colony.
It is at the Refugee Camp that Sharla meets Shulk and Reyn. She almost immediately takes a liking to Reyn but has trouble believing that Shulk can witness the future. When Juju runs away the three give chase, and Sharla reveals her speciality is healing. They eventually reach Juju, who has been captured by a Mechon M71, and defeat it. During this battle, Sharla realises that Shulk's visions are real.
Unfortunately for Sharla, their victory is short-lived as Xord appears and terrorises the group. He kidnaps Juju, causing Sharla to faint from the stress of the ordeal for about four hours. Upon recovering, Sharla leads the party through the Ether Mine, below Colony 6, and they find Xord. When she finds that Xord ate the entire Defence Force, she swears not to stop until she has destroyed every Mechon. After the battle, she is asked to accompany Shulk on his journey. She also receives Gadolt's Rifle from Otharon.
Sharla's healing helps Melia when they find her injured in Makna Forest; Sharla heals her and fast becomes her friend, helping Melia with her feelings for Shulk. Along the way she begins to develop her own affection for Reyn, although does not act on it as she believes that Gadolt must still be alive somewhere.
In battle, Sharla acts mainly a healer. She uses a rifle as a weapon, with a big focus on Ether-based arts. Due to using a rifle, Sharla's auto-attacks and arts have the longest range in the party, albeit having low damage output. Moreover, after a certain amount of arts have been used, Sharla will need to Cool Off, which makes her unable to move during its animation and erases her active auras. If a Chain Attack is activated while Sharla is cooling off, she will not be able to participate.
Sharla has a great variety of healing and reinforcement arts, which make her very valuable in order to buff up the party. She is also the only character besides Reyn to have an initial Skill Tree that allows her to equip heavy armour.
|Max Level||Max HP||Max Strength||Max Ether||Max Agility|
※ These stats are raw and do not include the bonuses from the skill lines.
- primarily heal and buff battle members
- talent gauge fills up depending on the arts used
- her rifle must undergo cool-off mode after the talent gauge reaches 100%
- depending on the enemy, her Tranquilliser art can put an enemy to sleep
- Cool Off [Talent Art] [Aura] (releases the built-up heat from using other arts, emptying the talent gauge, empties faster when activated before 100%)
- Heal Bullet (restores some HP to a single party member)
- Thunder Bullet (two-hit combo, increased critical chance against flying enemies)
- Shield Bullet (absorbs a set amount of damage)
- Cure Bullet (removes debuffs from a single target and grants temporary debuff immunity)
- Tranquilliser (puts an enemy to sleep)
- Heal Blast (restores a large amount of HP to a single party member)
- Metal Blast (causes Break in a straight line, increased critical against flying enemies)
- Heal Round (restores a medium amount of HP to all party members)
- Heat Bullet (increases tension of party members in a circle around the target)
- Covert Stance [Aura] (decreases aggro permanently and nullifies aggro gain for the duration)
- Head Shaker (dazes a Toppled enemy)
- Aura Bullet (extends the duration of auras)
- Heal Counter (restores HP to the targeted party member each time he/she gets attacked)
- Head Shot (guaranteed crit, may inflict Instant Death on a dazed enemy)
- Cure Round (clears the entire party of debuffs and grants temporary debuff immunity)
- Drive Boost [Aura] (reduces cooldown of all arts except Drive Boost, no auto-attack or movement)
Sharla has the following Skill Trees:
Devotion is one of Sharla's initial three skill trees, and the first skill is unlocked at the start of the game. Prioritizing Devotion improves Sharla's Ether based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this tree:
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Medium Equipment||Allows medium armor to be equipped||--||10|
|Medical Knowledge||Increases healing done during Chain Attacks by 25%||700||12|
|Long Range||Increases range of long-distance arts by 5%||1000||--|
|Always Ready||Increases Agility by 10||2000||10|
|Rapid Healing||Reduces cooldown of healing arts by 15%||3500||--|
Perseverance is one of Sharla's initial three skill trees. Prioritizing Perseverance improves Sharla's Physical Defence based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this tree:
|Physical Defence Increase||5||10||20||30||40||50|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Firm Defence||Increases Physical Defence by 5%||300||18|
|Ether Expansion||Increases Ether by 25||700||8|
|Solid Defence||Physical Defence Up 20% for 30 sec at the start of a battle||1000||6|
|Ether Unleashed||Increases Ether by 15% when HP reaches 50% or less||2000||2|
|Ultimate Sniper||Reduces duration of Cool Off by 50%||3500||--|
Confidence is one of Sharla's initial three skill trees. Prioritizing Confidence improves Sharla's Strength based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this tree:
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Ether Assault||Increases damage dealt by Ether arts by 20%||300||20|
|Initial Endurance||Physical Protect 20% for 30 sec to party with Battle Start Affinity||700||7|
|Middleweight Expert||Increases Physical Defence and Ether Defence of medium armour by 10%||1000||47|
|Adrenaline||Increases tension when damage is taken||2000||48|
|Heavy Equipment||Allows heavy armour to be equipped||3500||30|
Reliance is Sharla's fourth skill tree. It can be unlocked by completing Avenge a Mamapon's Death, which requires 4☆ affinity with Frontier Village. Prioritizing Reliance improves Sharla's Ether Defence based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this tree:
|Ether Defence Increase||5||10||20||30||40||50|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Memory of Gadolt||Increases block rate by 10%||200||--|
|Vendetta||Increases counter-attack rate by 15%||500||11|
|Decisive Follow-Up||Increases Ether by 20% for 30 seconds when an ally defeats an enemy||800||10|
|Revenge||Increases Strength and Physical Defence by 50% when an ally is incapacitated||1000||11|
|Ether Explosion||Increases Ether by 75||1500||25|
Affection is Sharla's fifth Skill Tree. It is obtained by completing either Stopping the Elopement (Zel Argentis) or Stopping the Elopement (En Argentis), which require 4½☆ affinity with Colony 6. Prioritizing Affection improves Sharla's maximum HP based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this tree:
|Max HP Increase||2%||5%||8%||10%||12%||15%|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Vote of Confidence||Increases healing by 25% when warned of a vision||200||--|
|Bedside Manner||Healing Arts restore 10% more HP||500||5|
|Hearty Cry||Restores 10% of max HP with Burst Affinity||800||44|
|Shield of Kindness||75% chance to reduce Ether damage taken by 25% for 30 seconds with Battle Start Affinity||1000||10|
|Miracle of Love||Restores 20% of max HP to remaining party members when incapacitated||1500||25|
Sharla owns unique Shooter and Engineer abilities for Gem Crafting, they are:
- Gentle Bonus: Cylinder Gauge fills up more with gentle flame.
- Strong Flame: Poor
- Medium Flame: Good
- Gentle Flame: Average
- Sour Gooseberry (Fruit; Bionis' Leg)
- Fire Apple (Fruit; Valak Mountain)
- Hell Raspberry (Fruit; Prison Island)
- Hard Lotus (Veg; Bionis' Leg)
- Fire Pepper (Veg; Sword Valley)
- Bright Fig (Fruit; Tephra Cave)
- Spicy Nut (Fruit; Frontier Village)
- Kneecap Rock (Nature; Tephra Cave)
- Gold Dust Illusion (Strange; Bionis' Leg)
In Super Smash Bros.
- "No... Gadolt..."
- "OW! That's scorching hot!"
- "Venting heat."
- "Gotta cool off..."
- "Good to go!"
- "My rifle's getting hotter!"
- "Don't worry, I have a plan!"
- "The next one will hurt even more!"
- "Over here, slowcoach!"
- "I won't have anyone dying out there."
- "Enemy reinforcement!"
- "We can change the future!"
- "Heal Round!"
- "Metal Blast!"
- "GIVE ME SOME SPACE!"
- "We make a great team!"
- "Rip through the air!"
- "It looks like this place is going easy on us!"
- "That's the spirit!"
- "I really could do with a shower right now!"
- "I won't lose anyone on the field!"
- "You can do better than that!"
- "Thunder Bullet, FIRE!"
- "Guess I gotta try harder."
- "Head Shaker!"
- "Heal Blast! Clear!"
- "Cure Bullet, go!"
- "Covert Stance!"
- "Nothing can withstand our Chain Attack!"
- "Let's get this done and dusted!"
- "All right, let's sort this out nice and quickly."
- "We're starting to look like a team!"
- "Keep it up"
- "Game over!"
- "Any time, any place."
- "Don't underestimate me."
- "START THE CHAIN ATTACK!"
- "Hey, not so fast!"
- "O.K., perfect!"
- "This is our target!"
- "All right! Showtime!"
- "I think we can do it!"
- "Gadolt... I hope you can see me."
- Melia: "Now I see there is strength in unity."
Sharla: "Atta Girl!"
- [When challenging a red level enemy] "Are you trying to get us killed?"
- [When focusing attacks] "This is our Target!"
- [When engaging at will] "I'll leave it at your judgment!"
- "Shulk, get up.... please!"
- "Come on, Shulk! You can do it!"
- "Shulk, that's good!"
- "Take it away, Shulk!"
- "That's right, Shulk!"
- "You said it, Shulk!"
- "You too, Shulk!"
- "Shulk, you're next!"
- "That one, Shulk!"
- "Sharp as a nail, Shulk!"
- "Come on, we need you, Shulk!"
- "No... Reyn.... REYN!!!"
- "Get up, Reyn!"
- "Don't give em an inch, Reyn!"
- "Reyn, do your thing!"
- "Reyn, don't jump the gun now! Heehee!"
- "Let's do it, Reyn!"
- "We already know that, Reyn!"
- "Don't screw up, Reyn!"
- "Reyn, what am I gonna do with you?"
- "Reyn, don't be so greedy!"
- "Reyn, do your thing!"
- "Reyn, you did it!"
- "Get back to it, Reyn!"
- "Fiora! Don't die!"
- "Don't give up, Fiora!"
- "That's a good sign, Fiora!"
- "Nothing's stopping you, Fiora!"
- "Me too, Fiora!"
- "And you too, Fiora!"
- "Hehaha! Calm down, Fiora! We're not going anywhere!"
- "Fiora! Now you!"
- "Fiora! I need you!"
- "Fiora! Nice!"
- "Fiora! Laugh in the face of adversity!"
- "That's not possible... Dunban!!!"
- "Dunban, the battle's just beginning, right?"
- "Hero Dunban, back with a vengeance!"
- "Dunban! You really are a hero!"
- "Dunban, have you just noticed?"
- "I will never forget it, Dunban!"
- "Ok, Dunban!"
- "Dunban! Do your thing!"
- "Dunban, strike hard and fast!"
- "Always the hero, eh, Dunban?"
- "Dunban, I expected more from a hero!"
- "Riki? Riki! RIKI!!!!"
- "Riki, you can go for a nap later!"
- "Don't get too excited, Riki!"
- "Show em what you're made of, Riki!"
- "SIDEKICK??!!! Well, whatever makes you happy! Haha!"
- "That's right, Riki! You can do it!"
- "But you're the one falling behind!"
- "Riki! You can do it!"
- "Riki, get em!"
- "Riki! Well done!"
- "Riki, get it together!"
- "Melia! I'm so sorry!"
- "Wake up, Melia!"
- "Hah! Don't mess with Melia!"
- "Hah! Nice to see you get into it, Melia!"
- "Atta girl!"
- "Melia, couldn't have said it better myself!"
- "We're counting on you, Melia!"
- "Melia! Your turn!"
- "Melia! Over there!"
- "This is why we count on you, Melia!"
- "Come on, Melia! Give it your all!"
- [Warning Shulk] "You just saw something, right?"
- "Reyn, this doesn't look good."
- "Dunban, we need to do something."
- "Melia, help!"
- "Riki, I'm counting on you."
- Fiora, deal with this, would you?
- [Being warned]:
- "Shulk, are you serious?"
- "I'll see to it that doesn't happen."
- "Don't worry. I'll deal with it."
- "We can change the future."
- "I got an idea. Leave it to me."
- "Juju! [...] Where have you been?"
- "Don't tell me you were... [...] I've told you a thousand times. We're not ready to leave the camp yet."
- "That gear. You must be survivors from the Defence Force! Is Colony 6 OK?! Did Gadolt make it?!"
- "Oh, so you're not from Colony 6. [...] Thank you for helping Juju. I'm his sister, Sharla."
- "Did you now? Well, all right. I suppose that's only fair."
- "We had already fought off the Mechon a year ago, at the Battle of Sword Valley. [...] It left us with a false sense of security. The Colony 6 Defence Force didn't even notice the approaching Mechon. By the time the air-raid siren sounded, a swarm of Mechon had blackened the sky. They ate people and burned our buildings. Me and Juju dedicated ourselves to evacuating the children and elderly. [...] I don't know what happened next."
- "Cheer up, you two! [...] We can't lose hope just yet! I'm certain Gadolt and the other soldiers are alive. They're still fighting. I can feel it."
- "What, you think I can't pull my weight in battle? I've got field experience as a medic. If you get hurt, I can use ether to patch you up."
- "Juju and the others! Tell me where they are!"
- "You promised to protect the guy who protects you? Am I missing something?"
- "Friends and family...alive one day... gone the next. It all became so normal. You end up wondering how you can possibly make a difference when war is so futile. I'm not the only one who felt like that sometimes. But nobody ever gave up. And you know why? [...] We had no choice but to be strong. Everybody had someone to protect. The moment you looked away, you'd lose everyone you loved. So we had to keep looking straight ahead. We couldn't stop fighting. [...] Don't go doubting yourself, even if things get tough."
- "Hey, Reyn. [...] Do you want to beat the Mechon? [...] At any cost? Even if it means giving your own life?"
- "If only we all thought like you. [...] It's charming."
- "Gadolt! It's you, isn't it? Please answer me! Let me see you!"
- [Tearfully breaking down] "No. It's not true. My Gadolt..."
- "I can't believe it. I won't believe it! [...] Gadolt, please! ANSWER ME!"
- "It's OK... It's all right now... I'm just so happy to have you back."
- "Dickson! Don't let Zanza control you! Wake up!"
- "She's right! You have to take what you want! There's no point in dying!"
|Shulk, Reyn, Sharla||Reyn - I'm on fire! Sharla, did you see me? Did you see what I did!?|
Sharla - Oh! I, uh, wasn't really looking.
Reyn - Aw, come on. That's not fair.
Shulk - *Laughs*
|Shulk, Sharla, Dunban||Shulk - Sharla, could you teach me how to use a rifle sometime?|
Dunban - So that's how it is. Giving up the sword already?
Shulk - No, no! That's not it at all!
Sharla - Oh let him have a go, Dunban.
|Shulk, Sharla, Melia||Melia - Sharla, your skill is truly unrivalled.|
Shulk - It's true. You're really good, Sharla!
Sharla - Wow, thanks. I don't know what to say.
|Shulk, Sharla, Riki||Riki - Mighty Riki also amazing with gun!|
Sharla - Oh really? Sure you won't shoot yourself in the paw?
Riki - Oh no! Riki need paws!
Shulk - *Laughs* Sharla, cut him some slack.
|Shulk, Sharla, Fiora||Shulk - Fiora, are you hurt?|
Fiora - Shulk, tell me you're okay.
Sharla - Uh... I'm here too, you know?
Shulk & Fiora - Sorry, Sharla.
Sharla - *Laugh* I'm just teasing.
|Reyn, Sharla, Dunban||Reyn - How would you rate me in that battle?|
Dunban - Amateurish!
Sharla - Yes, amateurish.
Reyn - Aw, man. After all my training
|Reyn, Sharla, Melia||Reyn - Just goes to show, brawn is better than brains.|
Sharla - Oh no, I can't let that one slip by.
Melia - The head! Shoot him in the head!
Reyn - Wha? What did I say?
|Reyn, Sharla, Riki||Reyn - That's how I like it, guys. Take 'em down in one fell sweep.|
Sharla - Reyn it's "swoop", not "sweep". Did you even try to go to school?
Riki - Yeah! Reyn is cleaner, so like sweeping! *laughs*
Sharla - *sigh* why do I waste my time?
|Reyn, Sharla, Fiora||Reyn - That was a superb moral victory, ladies.|
Sharla - *Laughs* Reyn, you bash, we talk.
Fiora - Moral? We're still standing, aren't we?
|Sharla, Dunban, Melia||Sharla - Isn't it quiet without Reyn or Riki around?|
Dunban - Agreed. Let's continue with this team.
Melia - *Laughs* Hero of the Homs, you have a mean streak.
|Sharla, Dunban, Riki||Dunban - And as one, we will always be victorious!|
Riki - Justice duo Riki and Dundun is here! Sharla have no scary!
Dunban - Ha! That's right, Riki!
Sharla - Good to have you with us, Dunban.
Riki - W-what about Riki?
|Sharla, Dunban, Fiora||Dunban - Fiora, don't push yourself too hard.|
Fiora - Thanks, Dunban. You too.
Sharla - Family is so important. I wonder how Juju's doing.
|Sharla, Melia, Fiora||No dialogue|
|Sharla, Melia, Riki||Riki - Riki wish Melly was real big sister!|
Melia - Aww. But what about Sharla?
Riki - Sharla more like mama. One mama enough.
Sharla - Now you wait just a minute!
|Sharla, Riki, Fiora||No Dialogue|
- According to "A Scene Revisited", Sharla dislikes Cabbage Parcels.
- Sharla's Japanese voice actor, Akeno Watanabe, later voiced Ga Buidhe in Japanese versions of Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
|Characters in Xenoblade Chronicles|
|Playable Characters||Dunban · Fiora · Melia · Reyn · Riki · Sharla · Shulk|
|Homs||Alvis · Dickson · Gadolt · Juju · Mumkhar · Otharon · Vangarre|
|Nopon||Chief Dunga · Oka|
|High Entia||Kallian · Lorithia · Sorean · Tyrea · Yumea|
|Machina||Egil · Linada · Miqol · Vanea|
|Gods||Meyneth · Zanza|