|This article was a featured article!|
For those who have not completed games in the Xenoblade Chronicles series, this page contains spoilers regarding the plot. Discretion is advised.
- "The Monado... I hope I can figure out the secret of its power one day."
- — Shulk
Shulk (Japanese: シュルク, Shuruku; English dub: /ˈʃʊlk/) is the main playable character and the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles. His ability to wield the Monado, using the sword's unique powers, as well as visions of the future, makes him one of the main forces against the Mechon. He is often referred to by some characters as the "Heir to the Monado". He becomes playable at the beginning of Chapter 1.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Story
- 4 In battle
- 5 General stats
- 6 Arts
- 7 Skill Tree
- 8 Gem Crafting
- 9 Presents
- 10 In Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- 11 In Super Smash Bros.
- 12 Quotes
- 13 Trivia
- 14 Gallery
- 15 External links
Shulk is determined, organised, strong-hearted, smart, and quick-witted to the bone. Despite being called out by Dickson for spending too much time indoors doing research, Shulk is a very kind person and is often seen trying to help others. He likes to think things through and is very methodical in his approach to most situations.
However, Shulk is also portrayed as being oblivious to other people's feelings. Despite his gentle nature Shulk is roused to great hatred and vengeance against the Mechon after they attack Colony 9, revenge being the main factor that leads him and Reyn to begin their journey. Shulk trusts his companions above anything else, and goes to great lengths to protect them. Shulk also tends to be pessimistic, often feeling particularly frustrated if and when he fails to change the future seen in his visions.
Shulk is a 1.71 m (5'7") young man with jaw-length wavy blond hair, greyish blue eyes, and a pointed face. In the Definitive Edition, Shulk's hair is more yellow than its original dirty blonde.
Shulk's default attire, which he wears in promotional material as well as in his appearances in other games, consists of a short red jacket, a black sweater with pink and purple patterning, grey shorts with straps and flat-soled boots. He wears a whistle around his neck.
- Main article: Xenoblade Chronicles (plot)
At four years old, Shulk accompanied his parents on an expedition to Ose Tower, where the Monado was held. An incident here resulted in the deaths of every researcher, leaving Shulk alone with the Monado to be found soon after by Dickson. Dickson brought both with him to Colony 9, where Shulk grew up alongside Reyn and Fiora and developed a keen interest in weapons development and Monado research himself.
The game introduces Shulk at 18 years old, scavenging for fallen scrap metal for his work. Reyn helps him fend off a Krabble and upon returning to the colony they find that Dickson has returned from one of his long journeys – he is pleased to see Shulk and impressed with his Monado research. Later Shulk catches Reyn holding the Monado, which horrifies Shulk as nobody but Dunban can control the weapon, and upon confiscating it Shulk experiences a Vision of the future. Shulk spends some time separately with Fiora before all three head into Tephra Cave on a Defence Force task, during which Colony 9 is attacked by Mechon forces for the first time since the Battle of Sword Valley.
The attack is brutal and spearheaded by a new type of Mechon, which has a Face and appears intelligent. Dunban takes up the Monado in an attempt to fend off the Mechon but is quickly overwhelmed by it, so Shulk picks it up himself and finds that, not only is he able to wield it, but that it allows him to see the future. Fiora is sent away to get help whilst Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban fight their way around the Commercial District, and she finds and pilots the Mobile Artillery unit. The Faced Mechon attacks the group in the Residential District, where they discover that it is immune to the Monado. Fiora damages in an all-out attack with the mobile artillery, but not enough to disable it – and consequently the Mechon, to Shulk and Dunban's extreme horror, picks up her vehicle and kills her. Shulk's fury does nothing to help the attack – an internal change in the Mechon causes the attack to be called off, and the Mechon force retreat, leaving the colony to recover from the damage and deaths caused in the attack.
Shulk decides that he wants to pursue and destroy the Mechon that killed Fiora, and so sets out with Reyn on the road to Colony 6. They pass through Tephra Cave again, where Shulk has a vision of Reyn being killed by the Arachno Queen but in reality a new Monado art saves him, causing Shulk to realise that his visions show only a potential future. Upon reaching the Bionis' Leg, Shulk and Reyn rescue Juju from monsters and meet his older sister, a medic from Colony 6, who tells them that the colony has been occupied by Mechon. Juju tries to return to Colony 6 to fight them on his own, but is abducted by a Mechon M71 on the way, which Shulk has a vision of. This vision includes Sharla and Juju both dying, which leaves Shulk shaken. He relays the vision sans death to Sharla and Reyn, and they head out to rescue Juju. Shulk gains another Monado art, which convinces Sharla of the legitimacy of his visions, and they come close to rescuing Juju before a second Faced Mechon appears and taunts them, verbally, before defeating them easily and abducting Juju.
Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla regroup before heading toward the Ether Mine below Colony 6, where Sharla concludes may be a safer route into Colony 6 than going above ground. They find an older Colony 6 Defence Force survivor, Otharon, who Shulk immediately has a vision of dying – although he only shares this with Reyn under pressure. Otharon dismisses the vision and they press on to find the Faced Mechon in the lowest pit of the mine. Attacks from the Monado again fail to damage the Mechon's armour, but Otharon pilots an abandoned mining vehicle and drives the Mechon into the ether river below the platform they've fought on. The Mechon catches Otharon's vehicle and pulls it over the edge, and Otharon says the words Shulk heard in his vision – terrifying Shulk, who thinks he's going to watch another friend die – but Reyn acts on Shulk's earlier warning and manages to catch Otharon moments before he falls. Relieved, and with Juju safe, the party retreat up a freight elevator toward the surface – and the Faced Mechon reappears, scarred and malfunctional from the ether, and attacks them again. This time the Monado dispatches it easily, but it tells Shulk cryptically that he did not even use the “true power” of the Monado, but falls and explodes before giving any further details.
The party reach the surface, and mention their motivation – revenge against the Mechon dubbed Metal Face – before Metal Face immediately appears and attacks them. Again the Monado is useless, and Shulk's fury is only increased as this Mechon reveals it too can talk, and taunts him. Attacks again prove fruitless, even when Dunban and Dickson appear in aid, but intervention from a surprise Telethia drive the Mechon off. This infuriates Shulk, who wants to give immediate chase, but Reyn holds him back. Shulk tells the others that his visions have shown him a confrontation with Metal Face at a black tower at the head of the Bionis – and Dickson offers to lead them up to the capital of the elusive High Entia, Alcamoth.
On the way, Dickson tells Shulk that he has a great destiny. Shulk ruminates on the Monado and his parents, and the party head through Satorl Marsh, through a section of the Bionis' Interior – which Shulk notes feels as if it is not dead – and up into Makna Forest, where they come across an unconscious stranger. Shulk heads alone into the forest to find ether crystals to allow Sharla to heal her, and meets another stranger – a young Homs who introduces himself as Alvis. Shulk half-recognises Alvis – a shadowed figure who appeared during the dream in which he saw Reyn killed by the Arachno – but before he can make the connection a group of Telethia appear and attack Shulk, unhindered by his visions. Alvis tells him that the Telethia are telepathic and can thus anticipate Shulk's own movements, and despite dire warning from Shulk takes up the Monado himself and uses a new art to render the Telethia's telepathy useless. He returns the Monado to Shulk, who defeats the Telethia, but vanishes before Shulk can question how he could wield the Monado or who he is. Shulk returns to the party with the crystals, and they wake Melia.
Melia also disbelieves Shulk's visions when they are first mentioned to her, but comes to trust him upon the defeat of another Telethia. She agrees to escort them to Alcamoth, where the party are immediately arrested for possession of the Monado. Shulk is brought before the Emperor who explains an ancient myth that the Monado will cause the destruction of the High Entia. Shulk explains his vision of Prison Island and Metal Face, and the Emperor asks more time for deliberation. Whilst the party are interred Melia is sent to prove her worthiness for the throne in the trial of the High Entia Tomb, and when her brother Kallian explains this to the party they convince him to let them help her, as Shulk has a vision of an assassination. They are accompanied by Alvis, who works as a seer for the High Entia, and although Alvis has not foreseen the assassination that Shulk has he vouches for Shulk's trustworthiness. They rescue Melia and return to Alcamoth, where celebrations are planned.
This achievement is cut short by an attack by the Mechon – targeting Prison Island, a squadron fly in and in retaliation the Emperor heads to Prison Island in order to release an ancient secret before the Mechon can penetrate the ether barrier and do more harm. The party follow quickly, Shulk's vision of Prison Island less immediate a priority than the Emperor's safety, and they make it up to the top of Prison Island before the Mechon can get through. The Emperor has released a Giant, who addresses himself as Zanza, from the island who addresses Shulk directly – offering to unshackle the Monado to allow it to harm Faced Mechon. Melia objects but Shulk agrees, and the Monado gains a new form just as Metal Face manages to break the barrier with a spear and impale the Giant. Metal Face is immobilised temporarily by the Emperor's ether, but breaks though it and kills him too. Again, Shulk is infuriated – but unlike his other encounters with Metal Face, he now has the power to fight back. He severs Metal Face's arm before a new Faced Mechon puts itself between Metal Face and the Monado to shield it from a killing blow; the attack instead cuts through the front armour of the new Mechon, revealing its pilot – Fiora.
The Mechon retreat, for the first time from real danger to their well-being. Shulk screams, but Fiora does not acknowledge him, and he cannot pursue them over the edge of Prison Island. She disappears and the group are left to come to terms with Faced Mechon being Homs, Fiora being alive but unresponsive, and the death of Melia's father.
Dunban consoles Shulk and he resolves to follow Fiora to find her again, and bring her back. The group sets out toward Mechonis, as the Mechon stronghold Galahad Fortress is a likely place to find her. They are accompanied by Alvis again, as he knows the area between Alcamoth and the Mechonis' sword. He leads them to Ose Tower, where Shulk was found as a child; he and Shulk have a conversation about the Monado and how it is the source of their visions.
At the foot of Valak Mountain Fiora's Face appears again – but its pilot doesn't recognise Shulk or Dunban, surprised to learn that she has family. The reunion is interrupted by Metal Face, who threatens to kill Fiora (again) if Shulk doesn't relinquish the Monado. Shulk offers it immediately, and Metal Face reveals himself to be Dunban's old comrade Mumkhar. Mumkhar gloats and doesn't see an ether attack from Melia coming, which sparks a fight between him and the party. Shulk hangs back to give Dunban the fight, but it is broken up by the arrival of a gigantic golden Faced Mechon who declares himself the leader of Mechonis, and addresses Shulk directly – as the “heir to the Monado” he is expected on Mechonis. This new Mechon takes both other Faces and retreats, again to Shulk's dismay. He and the party pursue the Mechon until the far end of Sword Valley, where Mumkhar is waiting to torment them again. Dunban tries to kill Mumkhar but is stopped by Shulk, whose previous goal of destroying all Mechon has been offset by the knowledge that they are piloted by Homs. Mumkhar, enraged at being beaten again, charges at Shulk, who immediately has a vision of Mumkhar's death. He tries to warn him away but Mumkhar continues and is himself impaled by debris, which destroys the platform they have fought on and falls with Mumkhar, still within Metal Face, down from the Sword.
Pressing on through Galahad Fortress leads the party to find Fiora's Mechon alongside the golden Face, who manages to shut the Monado down via ether wave emission, rendering Shulk powerless against Mechon directed against the party – which include Fiora, even though she tells the party she cannot control the Face's actions. Fiora manages to break from the control and attack the golden Face, which causes massive damage to the lower level of the Fortress and greatly damages Fiora's Face. She is thrown to the side of the platform and begins to slide off, and Shulk starts toward her – unable to stop her fall from the platform, he throws himself off after her down from the Fortress as it collapses.
Unconscious, Shulk dreams of falling through the ground after hunting scrap metal as a child. Another child, identical to him, watches him fall. When he wakes he finds himself on a beach beside the Silver Wreckage, from which he immediately excavates Fiora, who is still unconscious. Shulk notes a strange object fixed on her chest, then brings her water and kisses her to cause her to reflexively swallow it. This wakes her; Shulk tries to introduce himself to her but she stops him and tells him that she remembers. There has been a second entity controlling her since she woke after her “death” in Colony 9 and the replacement of her body, which is sleeping now. Shulk expresses hatred toward them and hopes they will never reappear, but Fiora suggests the person was trying to help. The two set out to try and find the party, but with the Monado still malfunctioning and Fiora's new Mechon body weaker than expected they have difficulty until Reyn and Sharla find and rescue them.
The area they have landed on is the Fallen Arm of the Mechonis – and on it they come across a small village populated by mechanical people known as Machina. Among these Machina is one named Miqol who asks that Shulk find and kill the pilot of the golden Mechon – his son, Egil. The Machina tend to Fiora and Shulk brings Mechon parts to allow them to stabilise her body enough that she can fight alongside them, and Dickson meets them at the village to offer Shulk encouragement toward killing Egil. Shulk is unsure but resolves at least to find Egil.
The party climb Mechonis, meeting Egil's sister, Vanea, who tells them that Egil has not always been cruel and that the Monado isn't merely a weapon, but rather a projection of the light of living beings. She leads them up to a data centre in the abandoned Mechonis capital, where the party are shown a projection narrated by the being inside Fiora – who reveals herself to be the soul of the Mechonis, equal to Zanza – the giant trapped in Prison Island and the soul of the Bionis. The projection shows early civilisations on both titans living in peace before the Bionis attacked unprovoked, doing great damage to the Machina and the Mechonis before the two titans exausted themselves. Shulk is shocked by this – the Monado of the Bionis is the same Monado he holds, and Zanza was the one to empower it. He fears that he may come to do great damage with the Monado, although the party reassure him otherwise. They proceed to the Meyneth Shrine where Egil awaits them, and although Shulk tries to reason with him – understanding now the Machina's past – Egil mocks him and fights the party before descending into the Mechonis Core to reactivate Mechonis in an attempt to destroy the Bionis and all life upon it. Agniratha is destroyed, and the party are saved by the timely arrival of Dickson and Alvis on Miqol's ship. They fly down into the Core and leave the ship, but on their way the Monado reacts suddenly and violently to Shulk, sending him into an intense seizure. Dunban notes that it is similar to how the Monado hurt him when he wielded it in Sword Valley, but that he hadn't expected it to harm Shulk. Shulk insists they press onward regardless.
They find Egil just as he activates Mechonis, using the sword – with the combined Bionis army on it – to hack at the Bionis. Egil attacks the party, but Shulk is able to use the Monado to incredible effect and manages to behead the golden Face, stopping just short of killing Egil in the same blow. A voice in Shulk's mind goads him toward killing Egil, which Shulk wants to do and almost does until he remembers a jumbled sequence of events that have happened since he took the Monado – cumulating in the fact that Egil was kind, and once aimed to stop the revenge cycle rather than perpetuating it. Shulk realises that he and Egil are not motivated differently, and that he has power enough to prevent Egil from causing further harm even if Egil has no intention to stop. Shulk lowers his blade and sits down on the shoulder of the Mechon, beside Egil, to talk. Egil relents, seeing no hint in Shulk of Zanza, and explains his own past – a friendship with the giant Arglas, who would come to be possessed by Zanza to start the original war. He reaches his hand out to make a truce with Shulk, and Shulk is shot in the back.
Shulk falls, and is caught by Egil's Mechon and lowered to the ground, to the horror of Egil and the party. Dickson has entered the Core and reveals a number of things; that Shulk was killed with the rest of the research group at Ose Tower fourteen years ago, that Shulk was revived only due to Zanza's need for another host, and that Dickson brought him back to Colony 9 as Dickson has long been an acolyte of Zanza's. Shulk's refusal to kill Egil hinders Zanza's plan to destroy Mechonis, and so Shulk had to be killed again in order to release Zanza from his body.
Shulk's body enters another seizure, convulsing on the ground with Fiora at his side. He stands suddenly and a golden man peels out of him, letting Shulk's body fall to the floor again. This is the true form of Zanza as a god. Shulk survives this ordeal in a coma – he remains unconscious as Zanza fights and kills Meyneth, activates the Bionis, obliterates the Mechonis (killing Egil), and activates an ether event transforming many High Entia into Telethia. Reyn carries Shulk's body back to Junks, where he remains until the party regroup at Colony 6, which is functioning as a stronghold against Telethia attacks.
Unconscious, Shulk finds himself floating in a simulated outer space, surrounded by meteorites. He laments the meaninglessness of his life, and the concept of having never really been alive, but is interrupted by Alvis, appearing in his mind. Alvis convinces Shulk that he has willpower and the choice to submit or not to Zanza's design, and Shulk wakes. Miqol has created a Replica Monado during this time, which Shulk takes and uses to great effect against the attacking Telethia. Dickson appears on a Telethia to taunt the party, and outs Alvis as another disciple of Zanza's. Alvis sends a Telethia to attack the party and Reyn tries to attack Alvis, but Shulk stops him and expresses understanding toward Alvis. Dickson and Alvis depart, and Shulk resolves to follow them to find and stop Zanza. The party enter the Bionis' Interior through a new wound, destroying the third disciple, Lorithia, at its heart. A portal leads out to the sunken Prison Island, where Dickson torments the party before fighting them in his original form at the top. Despite Shulk and Fiora no longer having access to the Monados of the gods possessing them, they are able to overcome Dickson – Shulk delivers a debilitating blow across Dickson's chest, forcing him to give up. Dickson waves the party away, feigning nonchalance, but as they leave Fiora notes that if left untreated Dickson will die. Shulk grieves visibly but presses on, leaving Dickson to die alone.
Another portal brings the party into Memory Space – the place seen in Shulk's coma. Shulk alone hears Alvis' voice welcome him there, and they find Zanza waiting for them. Zanza thanks Shulk for giving him access to both his and Meyneth's Monados, and offers Shulk immortality in exchange for becoming a disciple. Shulk refuses and attacks Zanza; despite Shulk having no Monado he can still see the future, and still hold his own against Zanza. To Zanza's shock, Shulk manifests a new Monado through Alvis' intervention, and bisects Zanza with it, initiating a flashback into the past as visualised by Alvis.
Shulk sees a space station staffed by four humans including Klaus and his colleague, who will become Zanza and Meyneth. Alvis explains that they were mortals before their experiment destroyed and recreated the universe, and that he was the computer that ran the experiment and created the world containing the Bionis and Mechonis. Shulk is given the choice of what should happen from here, and he decrees that what the people want is a new world without any gods at all. Alvis obeys, and the world is remade, leaving Shulk without any Monado on a new planet where Colony 9 is re-established and all those who survived are safe.
In Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the scene of the two scientists is seen in more detail; Meyneth's early incarnation is called Galea and the space station is known as the First Low Orbit Station, Rhadamanthus.
One year after the events of the main game, Shulk suggests that he and Melia travel to Alcamoth, which has been sighted by the Bionis' Shoulder. On their way their craft – the Junks – is shot down by an unknown assailant and they crash land on the Shoulder. Accompanied by Nene and Kino, two of Riki's children, Shulk and Melia travel across the Shoulder helping the refugees living there and working to reclaim Alcamoth from the creature that has overtaken it. During this time Shulk develops a new Monado replica. Upon returning to the new Colony 9 in Future Connected's epilogue scenes, Fiora appears initially upset with him for leaving, but is amicable with him when they return to Alcamoth for Melia's coronation.
Most of Shulk's arts revolve around positioning, often requiring other party members to draw aggro away from him in order for his arts to deal their additional effects, which makes him weaker when fighting enemies head-on, as his arts require him to wait for openings.
Shulk is able to call upon the power of the Monado in battle, which can stock up to eight unique skills, unlocked by progressing through the story or by finishing quests, and all of his moves are useful in a variety of ways, from giving useful buffs to protecting his entire party from harm.
Shulk has the third lowest HP of the playable cast, but his Strength and Agility greatly balance out this flaw. After gaining the Monado, Shulk cannot switch weapons. However, the Monado's stats will scale according to Shulk's level.
|Max Level||Max HP||Max Strength||Max Ether||Max Agility|
※ These stats are raw and do not include the bonuses from the skill lines.
- each auto-attack hit adds 20% to his Talent Gauge
- can have up to 8 Monado Arts, which can be rearranged but cannot be removed from the Battle Palette
- can only use a Monado Art after using Activate Monado, the amount of Talent Gauge depletion from using a Monado Art depends on the Art
- low cooldown Break arts in Stream Edge and Air Slash
- can constantly keep an enemy's physical defence down with Slit Edge
- high burst damage with Back Slash
- increases damage and lets the party hurt Mechon with Monado Enchant; can also deal burst damage against Mechon using Monado Buster
- defensive party buffs in Monado Speed, Monado Shield and Monado Armor
- can remove Soul Read using Monado Purge; can remove other buffs with Monado Eater
- can Break, Topple then Daze an enemy single-handedly with Monado Cyclone
- Turn Strike [Talent Art] - Heavy damage to a single target, and inflicts Break for a long duration. Permanently replaced by Activate Monado after obtaining the Monado.
- Back Slash - Damages single target. Attacking the target's back will cause double damage. One of Shulk's initial arts.
- Light Heal - Restores HP to a single ally. One of Shulk's initial arts.
- Slit Edge - Damages single target. Attacking the target's side will reduce Physical Defence. Learnt at Level 3.
- Stream Edge - Damages multiple enemies in front of Shulk, inflicts Break and fills Talent Gauge. Learnt at Level 5.
- Shadow Eye - Reduces aggro and increases damage of next physical Art. Learnt at Level 10.
- Air Slash - Damages and inflicts Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow. Learnt at Level 14.
- Shaker Edge - Damages single target. Dazes if target is Toppled. Learnt at Level 23.
- Battle Soul - Sacrifices half of Shulk's current HP to refill a portion of his Talent Gauge. Learnt at Level 32.
For information on leveling battle arts, see Levelling Battle Arts.
- Activate Monado [Talent Art] [Aura] - Switches Shulk's available Arts between his normal Arts and Monado Arts.
- Buster - Damages enemies in a straight line. Mechon and Machina suffer double damage.
- Enchant - Allows allies to damage Mechon for a time and boosts attack power (not available in Future Connected).
- Shield - Blocks Talent Arts of equal level or lower. Best used when Shulk has a vision.
- Speed - Improves evasion of a single ally.
- Purge - Damages single target at a distance. Removes Auras and Spike effects and inflicts Aura Seal.
- Eater - Damages enemies in front, removes all buffs and inflicts Bleed.
- Armour - Reduces all Physical and Ether damage to the party.
- Cyclone - Damages all enemies around Shulk. Enemies suffering Break will be Toppled.
Shulk has the following Skill Branches (not available in Future Connected):
Integrity is one of Shulk's initial three Skill Branches, and the first skill is unlocked at the start of the game.
Prioritizing Integrity improves Shulk's block rate, based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this branch:
|Block Rate Increase||4%||6%||8%||10%||15%|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Medium Equipment||Allows medium weight armor to be equipped.||0||10|
|Secret of Life||10% more HP is restored when reviving a party member.||700||20|
|Rewarding Work||Successfully completed quests award 10% more EXP.||1000||3|
|Resilient Warrior||Boosts Physical Defence and Ether Defence by 5%.||2000||11|
|Ultimate Teamwork||Increases Chain Attack damage by 25%.||3500||18|
Humanity is one of Shulk's initial three Skill Branches.
Prioritizing Humanity improves Shulk's Ether based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this branch:
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Healing Wisdom||Healing Arts restore 15% more HP.||300||8|
|Kind Encouragement||Restores HP to an encouraged ally.||700||7|
|Friendship Heals||Heals the party slightly after a Chain Attack (5%).||1000||20|
|Cheer of a Friend||Causes Burst Affinity to fill more of the Party Gauge (15).||2000||45|
|Chain of Friendship||Increases chance of a Chain Link by 15%.||3500||45|
Intuition is one of Shulk's initial three Skill Branches.
Prioritizing Intuition improves Shulk's Agility based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this branch:
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Battle Cry||Increases tension gained from the Battle Start Affinity by 20.||300||13|
|Underdog||Agility Up buff (15%) at start of battle with higher level enemies.||700||2|
|Equipment Master||Reduced weight of equipment by 5.||1000||5|
|Fever Pitch||Increases chance of Fever when gem crafting.||2000||18|
|Element of Surprise||Improves Arts with Bonus Effects from behind.||3500||20|
Pessimism is Shulk's fourth Skill Branch. It can be unlocked by completing Désirée's Future, which requires Colony 9 affinity of 4½☆.
Prioritizing Pessimism improves Shulk's Ether Defence based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this branch:
|Ether Defence Increase||5||10||20||30||40||50|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Fight the Future||Grants an extra 4 seconds before visions become reality||200||--|
|Stealth Warrior||Reduces aggro gained by using Arts by 10%||500||30|
|Epic Evasion||Increases chance of gaining Burst Affinity by 5% after evading an attack||800||45|
|Forced Mercy||Increases amount of aggro lost when attacked by 25%||1000||30|
|Immunization||Grants immunity to stat-reducing debuffs||1500||45|
Prioritizing Bravery improves Shulk's Critical Hit rate based on the number of skills that have been unlocked in this branch:
|Critical Hit Rate Increase||2%||5%||10%||12%||15%||20%|
|Frame||Skill||Effect||SP Cost||Link Cost|
|Fate Evasion||EXP Bonus when vision tags are destroyed||200||--|
|Hero's Privilege||Trading Bonus 20%||500||--|
|Lone Warrior||Agility is raised by 20 when a party member is incapacitated||800||4|
|Ultimate Defence||Boost the party's Physical Defence and Ether Defence by 10%||1000||65|
|Glorious Future||Talent Gauge is maxed after a vision||1500||28|
Shulk owns unique Shooter and Engineer abilities for Gem Crafting, they are:
- Fever Plus: Gets into a Fever easily when crafting.
- Strong Flame: Average
- Medium Flame: Average
- Gentle Flame: Good
- Azure Hollyhock (Flower, Mechonis Field)
- Rainbow Slug (Animal, Fallen Arm)
- Shield Bug (Bug, Makna Forest)
- Blue Chain (Part, Colony 9)
- Winding Gear (Part, Bionis' Leg)
- Digital Filament (Part, Fallen Arm)
- Grape Spring (Part, Agniratha)
- Pauper's Cup (Strange, Satorl Marsh)
- Sirius Anemone (Flower, Colony 6)
- Orb Daisy (Flower, Satorl Marsh)
- Black Blossom (Flower, Sword Valley)
- Mud Squirrel (Animal, Valak Mountain)
- Cable Mouse (Animal, Central Factory)
- Rumble Stonefly (Bug, Tephra Cave)
- Mystery Firefly (Bug, Ether Mine)
- Water Boatman (Bug, Mechonis Field)
- Art Core Coil (Part, Galahad Fortress)
- Modern Blue Gear (Part, Mechonis Field)
- Blue Light Amp (Part, Agniratha)
- Strong Screw (Part, Prison Island)
- Thunder Compass (Other)
- Black Panel (Strange, Frontier Village)
- Steel Hauyne (Strange, Eryth Sea)
- Dramatic Night (Strange, Agniratha)
- Blue Blood (Strange, Prison Island)
In Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Shulk and Fiora make an appearance in Challenge Battle Mode, released as part of Version 1.5.0 for players with the Expansion Pass. In it, the two appear as Blades; like Poppibuster, they can freely switch between Drivers (excluding Tora) without the need of an Overdrive Protocol. However, they cannot be taken out of the Land of Challenge until the party receives the Alrest Linkring. Shulk uses the light element, wields the Monado, and acts as an Attacker in battle.
For this appearance, Shulk was redesigned by Kunihiko Tanaka, lead character designer for Xenoblade Chronicles X, as well as the Xenogears and Xenosaga series, and designer of Finch, Elma, Fiora and KOS-MOS in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
In the English dub of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the original pronunciation for Shulk's name from Xenoblade Chronicles (/ˈʃʊlk/) can still be heard, but an alternate pronunciation (/ˈʃʌlk/) can also be heard.
- Lv. 1 - Monado Purge - Brandish the Monado to generate a mid-air shockwave.
- Lv. 2 - Monado Cyclone - Perform a rising spin to damage enemies surrounding you.
- Lv. 3 - Monado Buster - A powerful slash using the true power of the Monado.
- Lv. 4 - Monado Unbound - Unleash the true power of the Monado in a series of strikes.
- Accuracy Up - Increases accuracy.
- Debuff Cancel - Cancels debuffs from enemies.
- Back Attack Up - Increases backstab dmg; halves aggro.
- Vision - Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (100 - 60 sec cooldown).
- Monado Enchant - Increases damage dealt by the party by 20% to 40% when at max Affinity.
- Monado Speed - Increases accuracy and evasion rate of team by 24% to 40% at max Affinity.
- Salvaging Mastery - Lv. 3
- Keen Eye - Lv. 3
- Ancient Wisdom - Lv. 3
- Pouch item types: Veggies, Literature
- Pouch items: Addam's Supercakes (Veggies), Ardainian Arms Album (Literature)
|Type||Name||Skill Level||Affinity Level||Effect||Prerequisite||Count||Flavor Text|
|Key Affinity Reward||1||1||Unlocks level 1 of the Affinity Chart|
|2||2||Unlocks level 2 of the Affinity Chart||Increase Trust||100||"It's an unfamiliar fighting style, but I think I've got the hang of it."|
|3||3||Unlocks level 3 of the Affinity Chart. Affinity bond will be easier to sustain||Increase Trust||700||"I feel I can get stronger."|
|4||4||Unlocks level 4 of the Affinity Chart||Increase Trust||2,000||"We have to keep getting better. 'I' have to keep getting better."|
|5||5||Unlocks level 5 of the Affinity Chart||Increase Trust||4,000||"I feel strong enough to do anything!"|
|Blade Special||Monado Purge||1||1||60% chance to remove awakened status from enemy when using Special|
|2||2||70% chance to remove awakened status from enemy when using Special||Use Monado Purge||15||"I think I'm getting used to this one."|
|3||3||80% chance to remove awakened status from enemy when using Special||Finish an enemy||30||"Sometimes, losing isn't an option."|
|4||4||90% chance to remove awakened status from enemy when using Special||Use Monado Purge||25||"I've honed it almost to perfection."|
|5||5||100% chance to remove awakened status from enemy when using Special||Complete the Challenge Battle "Mk. VIII"||"That was a strong foe! It probably would've gotten stronger if we'd left it alone..."|
|Monado Cyclone||1||1||Increases critical damage by 25%|
|2||2||Increases critical damage by 40%||Finish an enemy||10||"I have to fight harder than ever before if I want to keep everyone safe."|
|3||3||Increases critical damage by 55%||Use Monado Cyclone||15||"I'm sure I'll hold my own the next time things come to a head."|
|4||4||Increases critical damage by 70%||Use Monado Cyclone||20||"I'm looking forward to showing off more of this!"|
|5||5||Increases critical damage by 85%||Complete the Challenge Battle "9th Imp. Armored Div."||"It was our mortal bodies against heavy armor, and we won... Hats off to you, everyone!"|
|Monado Buster||1||1||Adds a 60% chance of dealing a guard-annulling attack|
|2||2||Adds a 70% chance of dealing a guard-annulling attack||Use Monado Buster||5||"I've gotten a little stronger."|
|3||3||Adds a 80% chance of dealing a guard-annulling attack||Use Monado Buster||10||"No one's coming to any harm, not while I'm around."|
|4||4||Adds a 90% chance of dealing a guard-annulling attack||Finish an enemy||100||"I can't stop yet. There's so much more left to learn."|
|5||5||Adds a 100% chance of dealing a guard-annulling attack||Complete the Challenge Battle "Call the Exterminators"||"Let's get an even higher score next time!"|
|Battle Skill||Vision||1||1||Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (100 sec cooldown)|
|2||2||Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (90 sec cooldown)||Evade an attack||10||"I've got your back. Trust me."|
|3||3||Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (80 sec cooldown)||Block an attack||50||"I'll try my hardest, don't you worry."|
|4||4||Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (70 sec cooldown).||Evade an attack||30||"If you need me to back you up, I'll give it everything I've got!"|
|5||5||Can negate powerful enemy attack via button challenge (60 sec cooldown).||Block an attack.||100||"This power should benefit everyone."|
|Monado Enchant||1||1||Increases damage dealt by the party by 20% when at max Affinity||Collect a lot of Ether Cubes during a single Challenge Battle||1,000||"Sure, this'll do."|
|2||2||Increases damage dealt by the party by 24% when at max Affinity||Complete the Challenge Battle "Think of the Soldiers"||"I almost feel sorry for them."|
|3||3||Increases damage dealt by the party by 28% when at max Affinity||Collect a lot of Ether Cubes during a single Challenge Battle||1,800||"Nice one! That's a new high score!"|
|4||4||Increases damage dealt by the party by 32% when at max Affinity||Complete the Challenge Battle "Torna's Finest"||"That was a real challenge... But we were more than up to it."|
|5||5||Increases damage dealt by the party by 40% when at max Affinity||Collect a lot of Ether Cubes during a single Challenge Battle||3,600||"I don't think that record will be broken for a good long while."|
|Monado Speed||1||1||Increases the accuracy and evasion rate of the team by 24% at max Affinity|
|2||2||Increases the accuracy and evasion rate of the team by 28% at max Affinity||Complete Challenge Battles||10||"There will be more challenges ahead."|
|3||3||Increases the accuracy and evasion rate of the team by 32% at max Affinity||Attack from behind||30||"Attacking from behind. One of my tried and tested tactics."|
|4||4||Increases the accuracy and evasion rate of the team by 36% at max Affinity||Complete Challenge Battles||30||"We've been really pushing ourselves. I'd say we've earned a break!"|
|5||5||Increases the accuracy and evasion rate of the team by 40% at max Affinity||Attack from behind||100||"Don't worry, I'll support you."|
|Field Skill||Salvaging Mastery||1||3||Knowledge related to salvaging.||Acquire Mechanical items from the Collectibles list||10||"I'm really curious about this salvaging business."|
|2||4||Acquire Mechanical items from the Collectibles list||20||"So... how is it, deep down in the Cloud Sea?"|
|3||5||Acquire Mechanical items from the Collectibles list||40||"I think I'd like to try salvaging sometime, just to see what it's like."|
|Keen Eye||1||3||The power to see things clearly. Used to notice small changes, etc.||Succeed in a button challenge during battle||10||"Perfect timing there!"|
|2||4||Help an incapacitated ally.||20||"Let's stay on our toes next time."|
|3||5||Swap blades during battle.||100||"I know how to wait my turn."|
|Ancient Wisdom||1||3||Knowledge of ancient civilizations. Used to decode writing, etc.||Acquire treasure items through salvaging||5||"Could my expertise come in useful too?"|
|2||4||Acquire treasure items through salvaging||10||"There's so much here that I've never seen before."|
|3||5||Acquire treasure items through salvaging||20||"If we find more...we might learn more!"|
In Super Smash Bros.
Shulk is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as the 57th fighter. His Neutral Special move gives him the ability to change his attributes in battle using his Monado Arts; Speed, Shield and Buster from Xenoblade Chronicles and two new Arts, Jump and Smash, invented for the sake of Smash Bros.
Shulk's Neutral Special uses his Monado Arts:
- 翔 (Jump): increased jump height, increased air speed, increased falling speed, increased Air Slash height, lower defence.
- 疾 (Speed): increased ground speed, increased air speed, decreased attack power, decreased jump height.
- 盾 (Shield): increased defence, increased weight, increased shield health, decreased ground speed, decreased air speed, decreased jump height, decreased attack power
- 斬 (Buster): increased attack power, decreased launching power, decreased defence.
- 撃 (Smash): increased launch power, decreased attack power, decreased weight
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate a Monado Art can be selected rather than switching between each one.
Shulk's Up Special move is Air Slash, a rising slash with an optional second slash.
Shulk's Side Special move is Back Slash. It does more damage if it hits the back, similarly to the Art's effect in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Shulk's Down Special move is Vision, in which he foresees an opponent's attack, dodges, and counterattacks. Vision can be altered to launch the opponent behind Shulk.
Some of Shulk's neutral attacks in this game also bear resemblance to other arts that he and other party members in Xenoblade Chronicles used, two notable examples being his forward smash's similarity to Slit Edge and his down smash's to War Swing, one of Reyn's arts.
Nintendo released a Shulk amiibo as part of the third wave of amiibo figures. In the US the Shulk figure was exclusive to retailer Game Stop at launch, but was made available at Best Buy retailers in October 2015. It is not exclusive to any retailer in Europe or Japan. The announced release dates by Nintendo were February 2015 in North America and 20th February, 2015 in Europe.
According to Nintendo's amiibo compatibility chart, the Shulk amiibo is compatible with the following games:
In Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, the Shulk amiibo can be used to unlock items in the Jukebox and Model Viewer. Using the amiibo once per day will grant three tokens to use for the raffles. The Shulk amiibo is the only amiibo currently supported by the game.
In Super Mario Maker, the amiibo unlocks a Shulk skin to be used in Super Mario Bros. stages. It also uses Shulk's Japanese voice clips.
In Yoshi's Woolly World, the amiibo unlocks a Shulk pattern for Yoshi.
In Kirby: Planet Robobot, the amiibo gives the ESP ability.
- "The enemy's weak, but don't drop your guard!"
- "Everyone — let's go!"
- [Starting versus red level enemies] "Looks like we don't have a choice!"
- [Fighting a Unique Monster] "Everyone do your best!"
- [Dodging] "Not good enough!"
- "We haven't lost yet!"
- [Activating] "This is the Monado's power!"
- "Nothing's gonna stop me!"
- "Let's aim higher!"
- "Almost there!"
- [Healed] "Just what I needed!"
- "Monado! Show me the way!"
- "Behold the power of the Monado!"
- "I... I'm seeing something!"
- "It's coming to me...!"
- "Ohh... Wait!"
- "Ok, my turn!"
- "Not bad!"
- "Monado, lend us your power!"
- "More enemies!"
- "There's no end to them!"
- "I can't...go on..."
- "This isn't going well..."
- Shulk: "I'm really feeling it!"
Reyn: "yeah, Shulk! get stuck in!"
- Shulk: "Reyn!"
Reyn: "I know, I know!"
- "Altogether for a Chain Attack!"
- "Sharla! Don't worry about it!"
- [Talent Gauge full] "We can definitely do this!"
- Shulk: "This isn't going well."
Reyn: "Sorry, I lost focus."
- Shulk: "Altogether now!"
Riki: "Riki together too!"
- [Focussing attacks] "Let's Focus our efforts!"
- [Engaging at will] "Play it by ear everyone!"
- [Retreat] "Everyone, make a run for it!"
- "BATTLE SOUL!"
- "Shadow Eye!"
- "Back Slash!"
- "Air Slash!"
- "Streeeam Edge!"
- "Light Heal!"
- "Slit Edge!"
- "This'll leave a mark-- Shaker Edge!"
- [Art: Shaker Edge] "Pesky thing!"
- [Art: Monado Shield] "Monado... Shield us!"
- [Art: Monado Speed] "Monado, show me the way!""
- "You're not invincible! Monado Enchant!"
- "No escape..." *yelling* "Monado Purge!"
- [Art: Monado Purge] "That's ENOUGH!!!"
- "I'll blow you away... Monado Cyclone!"
- "Monadoooo... Eater!"
- "Tuuurn... Strike!"
- [Art: Monado Eater] "I'll smash you up!"
- "I need to be even stronger!"
- "I can feel the power!"
- "Piece of cake!"
- "Hahaha, we win!"
- "Get up, Reyn!"
- "You're really getting into this, Reyn!"
- "Reyn! Let's see what you're made of!"
- "And nothing's gonna stop us."
- "Ok, Reyn!"
- "It's cause we all make such a good team, Reyn!"
- "Reyn! You're up!"
- "Easy there, Reyn!"
- "Reyn! You're a lifesaver!"
- "Reyn! It's up to you!"
- "Nice one, Reyn!"
- "Reyn! This isn't like you!"
- "Fiora! Please, no!!!"
- "Come on, Fiora, get up!"
- "Looking good too, Fiora!"
- "Go get em, Fiora!"
- "Me too, Fiora!"
- "I won't let you go, Fiora!"
- "I feel exactly the same, Fiora!"
- "Fiora! Keep it coming!"
- "Fiora! I'll protect you."
- "Fiora! Glad you're around!"
- "Fiora! We're all with you!"
- "Fiora! You got it?"
- "Fiora, that's great!"
- "Fiora! Don't give up!"
- "No way..... DUNBAN!!!!"
- "It's not over yet, Dunban!"
- "Yeah Dunban, go for it!"
- "Dunban! You're really shining!"
- "Yeah, Dunban!"
- "Understood, Dunban!"
- "Yes sir!"
- "Dunban! We're counting on you!"
- "Dunban! Don't overdo it!"
- "Thank you, Dunban."
- "Dunban! That's the one!"
- "Dunban! You're awesome!"
- "Dunban, hang in there!"
- "Sharla, hang in there!"
- "Sharpshooter Sharla!"
- "Sharla! You're really focussed!"
- "And as one, we're unbeatable!"
- "We can do even better. Come on, Sharla!"
- "Yeah! It's cool, isn't it, Sharla?"
- "Sharla! Go for it!"
- "Sharla! You're needed here!"
- "Sharla! Nice shot!"
- "Come on, Sharla! We're not done yet!"
- "You're all right, Riki?"
- "We need full power, Riki!"
- "Heropon on the rampage!"
- "Haha! Teach us, Heropon Riki!"
- "Hah. Good well be, Riki."
- "Right behind you, Riki!"
- "Riki! It's your turn!
- "Riki! Take the lead!"
- "Riki! Keep it up!"
- "Riki, a sad face doesn't suit you!"
- "Melia! Don't give up!"
- "Give it all you've got, Melia!"
- "Melia's scary when she's angry!"
- "I'm glad you're with us, Melia!"
- "Yeah! And we're stronger than anyone else!"
- "Melia! Thank you!"
- "Melia! It's up to you!"
- "Melia! That's the one!"
- "Melia! I knew you could do it!"
- "Melia! Cheer up!"
- "Reyn, this is not good."
- "Sharla, watch out!"
- "Dunban, listen!"
- "Riki, be careful!"
- "Melia, this is bad!"
- "Fiora, we've gotta hurry!"
- "No! I can't see it clearly!"
- "The future doesn't belong to you!"
- "Long ago, the world was nothing more than an endless sea cloaked in a boundless sky, reaching as far as could possibly be imagined. Then two great titans came into existence. The Bionis and the Mechonis. The titans were locked in a timeless battle. Until at last, only their lifeless corpses remained. […] Eons have passed. Now, our world, this vast land stretching across the remains of the Bionis, is under attack by a relentless force known as the Mechon."
"Reyn's right. You can't go on like this. […] Dunban! … This time...it's my turn!"
"I've made a decision. … My purpose in life - I will pursue that faced Mechon. … They attacked our colony, killed Fiora... I will find that Mechon - find it and destroy it. Destroy them all!"
- "Xord? So you have a name?"
- [to Metal Face] "You will know the pain and suffering you caused the Emperor and Fiora!"
- "Fiora! It's me! Shulk! Fiora!"
- "So it's true. You really don't remember us at all. Fiora, listen! If nothing else, you must remember your family! That's Dunban over there!"
- [jumping after Fiora's falling Mechon] "Fiora!"
- Shulk: [after reviving Fiora] "Fiora. You're awake. Uh...do you remember? My name is Shu-"
[Fiora puts her hand on Shulk's cheek, and he looks at her expression of content with surprise.]
- Fiora: "I can't believe it. My first kiss."
- Shulk: [overjoyed] "You do remember me! Fiora!"
- Fiora: [nods] "Of course I do, Shulk." [The two embrace.]
- "If I'd wanted to walk the predetermined path, I wouldn't have come this far. Even with the odds stacked against us, even though I can't see the future, I'll keep walking. My own path. That I decide."
- "I just want to live my life as a Homs, in a world...without...you!"
- Zanza: "How, how can you have visions?! You no longer possess the Monado!"
- Shulk: "I don't know. It comes from the bottom of my heart. It shows me my enemy. It reveals the future I must change!"
- "What's important isn't whether you can see the future or not. It's the will to make a choice, and the strength to seize your destiny! Our time has come. OUR DESTINY IS OUR OWN!"
- "Today, we use our power to fell a god, and then, SEIZE OUR DESTINY!"
- "I won't decide. The future should be decided by each and every person in the world. And so what I... No what we wish for is... A world with no Gods!"
- "I don't know what the future holds. But that means, I can imagine all the possibilities."
- "I hope I can meet them all one day. The people of this endless world."
|Shulk, Reyn||Shulk - Reyn, I can always count on you!|
Reyn - Heh, nothing's gonna touch you as long as I'm around.
|Shulk, Reyn||Shulk - We need to stick together from here on, and we'll be right as Reyn. Get it?|
Reyn - *Laughs* You crack me up, Shulk.
|Shulk, Reyn, Sharla||Reyn - I'm on fire! Sharla, did you see me? Did you see what I did!?|
Sharla - Oh! I, uh, wasn't really looking.
Reyn - Aw, come on. That's not fair.
Shulk - *Laughs*
|Shulk, Reyn, Dunban||Reyn - Dunban, with you around, there ain't no stopping us!|
Shulk - Totally!
Dunban - Don't get cocky. Stay focussed, stay sharp.
Shulk & Reyn - Yes sir!
|Shulk, Reyn, Melia||Shulk - Melia, are you tired?|
Melia - No, I am fine. Reyn, however... I'm not so sure about.
Shulk: Reyn, wake up! Reyn!
Reyn: *Yawns* Sorry, sorry. Didn't get enough sleep. Why don't we grab some shut-eye?
|Shulk, Reyn, Riki||Riki - Thanks to Riki's sidekicks, we win.|
Reyn - Wha!? Who're you calling sidekick?
Riki - No see anyone else. Must be you.
Reyn - Stupid furry volleyball. I'm gonna...
Shulk - Reyn, you're such an easy target. *Laughs*
|Shulk, Reyn, Fiora||Reyn - Man, am I good or am I good.|
Shulk - *Laughs* That is so you, Reyn.
Fiora - *Giggles* You two never change.
|Shulk, Sharla, Dunban||Shulk - Sharla, could you teach me how to use a rifle sometime?|
Dunban - So that's how it is. Giving up the sword already?
Shulk - No, no! That's not it at all!
Sharla - Oh let him have a go, Dunban.
|Shulk, Sharla, Melia||Melia - Sharla, your skill is truly unrivalled.|
Shulk - It's true. You're really good, Sharla!
Sharla - Wow, thanks. I don't know what to say.
|Shulk, Sharla, Riki||Riki - Mighty Riki also amazing with gun!|
Sharla - Oh really? Sure you won't shoot yourself in the paw?
Riki - Oh no! Riki need paws!
Shulk - *Laughs* Sharla, cut him some slack.
|Shulk, Sharla, Fiora||Shulk - Fiora, are you hurt?|
Fiora - Shulk, tell me you're okay.
Sharla - Uh... I'm here too, you know?
Shulk & Fiora - Sorry, Sharla.
Sharla - *Laugh* I'm just teasing.
|Shulk, Dunban, Melia||Shulk - Melia, it'd be great if you taught me how to use ether!|
Dunban - So that's how it is. Giving up the sword already?
Shulk - No, no! That's not it at all!
Melia - I'm speechless.
|Shulk, Dunban, Riki||Dunban - Riki, mighty Heropon, I can see that you're in pain.|
Riki - Hmph, nothing can beat Riki.
Shulk - Dunban, you're embarrassing Riki!.
|Shulk, Dunban, Fiora||Dunban - Fiora, how are you doing?|
Fiora - I'm fine, Dunban. But thanks for asking.
Shulk - I wish I had a brother or sister. You guys look like a real family.
Fiora - Well... you're basically like our baby brother.
Shulk - What!? Baby brother!?
Fiora - *Laugh* Be careful what you wish for.
|Shulk, Melia, Riki||Riki - Melly, Riki try really hard! You see it?|
Melia - Of course, you sweet thing. Who's a brave boy?
Shulk - Um, Melia? Are you feeling okay?
|Shulk, Melia and Fiora||Shulk - Wow, when did you two get so tough?|
Fiora - What? Just because we're girls we're supposed to be wimps? How rude!
Melia - Quite. I'm afraid you have much to learn about the fairer sex, Shulk.
Shulk - *Groan* Why do I get the feeling that mastering the Monado is going to be easier?
Fiora & Melia - *Laughs*
|Shulk, Riki, Fiora||Riki - Riki try really hard.|
Fiora - I was watching the whole time.
Riki - Wha..? No way. You watching Riki?
Shulk - I saw him slacking off a bit.
Riki - *Guilty laugh* You wrong. Riki try really hard.
Shulk & Fiora - *Laughs*
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Post-Battle Dialogue
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 spoilers:
|Rex||"That sword you've got, Shulk. There's something really... mystical about it."|
|Shulk||"As well there should! It was made by a god, after all."|
|Rex||"What? Seriously? Is that... safe to be using, then?"|
|Mythra||"Shulk, your sword... Is it really, uh..."|
|Shulk||"Yes. Everything you've heard is true."|
|Mythra||"It's alright, I don't need the details now. But one day, you'll have to tell me all about it."|
|Shulk||"Nia, are those your... actual ears?"|
|Nia||"Rude, much? Of course they're real! You've never seen a Gormotti before or what?"|
|Shulk||"Oh, I'm really sorry. There aren't any... Gormotti where we come from."|
|Shulk||"So this world has Nopon too. Tora, judging by your body, I'd guess you're fifty or so, right?"|
|Tora||"Outrageous! Tora not some dried up old geezer! Tora is youthful Nopon boy! Younger than Shulk by many much years!"|
Chapter 4 spoilers:
- In a Heart-to-Heart - "A Gift for a Loved One" - between Dunban and Sharla at Eryth Sea, Dunban states that Shulk's diet is not healthy as he dislikes vegetables. He eats the vegetables Fiora cooks him without complaining though, because he is too embarrassed to admit that he does not like them to her.
- In spite of collectables in the Vegetables category being Shulk's least favourite in Xenoblade Chronicles, with some of them lowering his Affinity by as much as 18 points, in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 one of his favorite Pouch Items is Addam's Supercakes and one of his favorite categories is Veggies.
- According to "The Legend of the Spider", Shulk is scared of caterpillars. Apparently this was caused when Reyn hid a caterpillar in Shulk's sock drawer.
- After falling from Galahad Fortress, Shulk has a dream where he picks up a piece of scrap metal and falls through the ground as a child. The piece of scrap metal bears a high resemblance to the Monado.
- Shulk and Zanza have the same voice actor. This is probably intended as a foreshadowing to the plot twist that he has been dead all the time and Zanza kept him alive through the Monado.
- Shulk is the first Xenoblade Chronicles character to appear in a franchise outside his own, having appeared as playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and as a unlockable Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker.
- Due to Super Mario Maker, Shulk is currently the only Xenoblade Chronicles character to appear on his own in a franchise outside his own, as other Xenoblade characters and materials appear in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, and Fiora, Metal Face, and several enemies and areas from Xenoblade Chronicles in the non-Nintendo (but Monolith Soft developed) game, Project X Zone 2.
- When using the Tachyon Chip, Shulk as a Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has the highest auto-attack stat in the game capping at 1,974 at S+ trust. This makes him have higher auto-attack than Pandoria and Poppi QTπ, who hit the 1,700's.
- Some of Shulk's post-battle dialogue in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 reference major events from the main story of Xenoblade Chronicles.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Characters in Xenoblade Chronicles|
|Playable Characters||Shulk · Reyn · Fiora · Sharla · Dunban · Melia · Riki|
|(FC)||Melia · Shulk · Kino · Nene|
|Homs||Alvis · Dickson · Gadolt · Juju · Mumkhar · Otharon · Vangarre|
|Nopon||Chief Dunga · Oka|
|(FC)||Dekadeka · Drydry · Evelen · Faifa · Fofora · Hekasa|
|High Entia||Kallian · Lorithia · Sorean · Tyrea · Yumea|
|(FC)||Gael'gar · Helmaline · Maxis · Teelan · Tyrea|
|Machina||Egil · Linada · Miqol · Vanea|
|Gods||Meyneth · Zanza|
|Characters in Xenoblade Chronicles 2|
|Playable Characters||Rex · Nia · Tora · Vandham · Zeke · Mòrag|
|Special Blades||Pyra · Mythra · Dromarch · Poppi α, QT, QTπ · Roc · Pandoria · Brighid · Aegaeon|
|Supporting Characters||Amalthus · Azurda · Bana · Cole · Corinne · Eulogimenos · Fan la Norne · Lila · Niall · Niranira · Tatazo|
|Torna||Jin · Malos · Sever · Akhos · Obrona · Mikhail · Cressidus · Patroka · Perdido|
|Dagas · Newt · Crossette|
|Gorg · Praxis · Sheba|
|Godfrey · Theory · Ursula · Perun · Dahlia|
|Adenine · Boreas · Finch · Zenobia · Fiora|
|Wulfric · Agate · Floren · Nim|
|Electra · Kora · Herald · Vess|
|KOS-MOS · Poppibuster · Corvin · Shulk|
|Azami · Vale · Perceval · Kasandra · T-elos · Elma|